09 December, 2015

Jeera Atta Biscuits (Cumin Wholewheat Shortbread Cookies)

A wholesome,  preservative-free, baking-powder-free nibble that can easily be handed to a toddler too, in lieu of the store bought biscuits.


Great with some piping hot ginger chai!

These cookies are wholewheat, but they do contain a fair amount of fat, and a little jaggery, 
so moderation is certainly the key.

Other, even more guilt-free versions coming up soon!

Ingredients:
1. Atta (Wholewheat) flour: 1 1/2 cups
2. Jeera (Cumin) seeds: 1 teaspoon (or to taste)
3. Jaggery powder: 1/2 cup
4. Ghee: 3/4 cup (Can substitute with butter, or oil for vegan.)
5. Salt: 1/4 tsp

Method:
1. Mix the dry ingredients together.
Dry ingredients
2. Add the ghee, and rub it in, then gather the dough together.



3. Chill in the fridge for half an hour.

4. Roll it out between sheets of parchment paper, around 1/4 inch thick.



5. Cut out desired cookie shapes.



6. Prick vent holes for the steam using a fork or knife tip, or, if you're into gadgets, a dough docker.

(I love gadgets, but ever since I was a kid, whenever I've watched and helped my mom make "mathris" (मठरी) or "namakparas" (नमकपारे),  I've always secretly felt that the ideal instrument for this would have been a circular comb

Don't worry, ;) I've not tried it yet. I'll keep you posted on how that turns out if I ever do.) 

6. Carefully lift the cookies, - using a spatula if required, - and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment.

I find that these cookies turn out perfectly fine even if I don't grease the tray, nor do I line it.

7. If you have the patience, repeat as necessary, with the leftover dough bits. Else, the final collection of non-cutout bits (the negative spaces from the cookie cutouts) can be rolled out and simply cut into thin strips, rectangles or diamonds.


8. Line the cookie sheets or trays with parchment and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C degrees for 12-15 minutes till done (keep a close watch, time may vary a bit), rotate them midway through if required, for even browning.

I find that these cookies turn out perfectly fine even if I don't grease the tray, nor do I line it.

9. Cool, before storing in an airtight jar. Will keep for a few days. 

They will disappear long before that.


Great to munch on anytime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...